Saturday, October 09, 2010

Sonic Explorations.

So, now We've done a rough cut of the sonic exploration piece and I've ventured deeper into the journey of "what is art."

During a previous discussion with robbie and Jess, I realised where my direction of the sound piece is going. Previously, I was quite, upset , by the notion of art . I wanted to Prove my point that There are no rules involved in art and that the results are based on the judgements of others.
Having talked to Robbie, I realized that by trying to break the conventional rules of sound and music, I boxed myself in with rules that i've written myself. I would have been working with the rule that i "have to break all the rule" that would not have made my piece flexible and i would cease to explore more into the subject matter.

In stead, i decided to have a through listen to all the fellow student's recordings and searched with an open mind on what inspires me. I did have an agenda, it is to extract each artist's notion of 'art' their explanation and justification of what art is in their own theory.

From the exercise, i realized that that is no empirical answer to "What is Art?". Art is not a thing, but i can be a thing. Art is not a subject, but it can be a Subject.
Art is any thing you want it to be and yet it can move away from what you want to define it to be.

Just like the questions "What is the meaning of life?" and "Why do we exist?" , "What is Art?" is not the correct question to ask.
As the Author , Douglas Adams , wrote in his books
 " Before you want to understand what the ultimate Answer is, You got to know what the Question is."

It is not the Answer I am searching for.
it's the question.

So, from here These are the revised ACTS within the Sonic exploration Project.

ACT1 - An experimental Music Piece set out to explore the percussive nature of tools and the studio enviroments.
ACT2 - Working on the Experimental music piece, Bits and piece of Artist's Take on 'Art' is edited in sequence in an attempt to search for the question that defines art.
ACT3 - And Abstract Soundscape of Percussive and vocally driven piece at an attempt to create a piece in search of Artistic value. This is not an attempt to answer the question posted, but an attempt to let listeners question this piece and formulate their own answers.

Chris & Michelle

No comments: