Thursday, June 10, 2010

PP1 Final refections.

When we first enrolled into production project 1, I learnt what it is to be a social media producer.
we were asked questions about what social media is, what's new media, and learnt about  convergence culture. we were asked what a social media producer is and i reflected my thoughts in this blogpost http://pop-the-cherry.blogspot.com/2010/03/social-media-producer.html .

throughout the course, I start to get a better grasp of what being a social media producer is all about.
We were tasked to set out to promote a content site called pool.org.au featuring a creative group themed "MYTRIBE" which all of you must have heard about.

My initial goals were to find musicians to post content up on pool as my tutorial group's task is to create an audio clip to be featured on ABC's 360 documentary radio show. I thought that it would be a creative outlet for people to post their work, but i did not understand that what they were looking for is an interesting story, not music. a write up on my initial goals can be found here :
 http://pop-the-cherry.blogspot.com/2010/04/assignment-1-job-plan-what-network-or.html

initially, i was unclear of what this course will teach me, as i was suddenly tasked with alot of things to do and not many lessons. it's just like working. but after a while i come to realized that this is good. what i learnt from this course cannot be thought from school. we set out to create something together and learn how the social media world works and how fast it is changing. gone are the days where students sit in classrooms and wait for teachers to spoon feed them.  we are all preparing ourselves for a future that is unpredictable, jobs that yet to exist and to solve problems that are not yet problems. Hack, the term "social media producer" was not even heard of 5 years ago! many of the most sought after jobs now were not even around 10 years ago! So, my point is, I like what i learnt from this course, and that i see myself being more intune with the current media technology.

Another big assignment we have is 'Content Producer"

Many of you have probably heard about my flashmob event that is used to create awareness about our boardgaming project. Yes i know it's irrelevant. But isn't that life? Life itself is irrelevant. without the flashmob, not many people would know what we are doing. Content is a very important aspect of social media and viral marketing. thats how things or "memes" as richard dawkins (which i am a fan of) coined, get passed down by people. it's a people generated marketing tool. We needed something that people would care to share with their friends. not everybody is interested in looking at a buch of guys playing boardgames. I mean, they might get interested, but it;s not eye catching.
a flashmob is.
in two weeks, our video had generated over 100 views, and thats only on youtube, the video has been uploaded to many sites like pool, facebook, friendster, myspace video and personal blogs. It's the awareness that counts.
In this content producer project, I'm grouped with scott mitchell and elliot heatwole. though i dare say that most of the work is delegated and spearheaded by me. As all of you know, our project revolves around boardgaming in melbourne, shedding light on a group of dudes that get together every thursday to play boardgames.
I went down on many occasions to play boardgames with them as well as to interact with them to understand the boardgaming scene better. This helped me alot is gaining PR skills as i have to choose my words correctly and get them to like me and accept me as one of them before they get comfortable to share with me their thoughts.

you can check out our site here : http://boardgamersproject.wordpress.com/

My overall assestment for myself in PP1 is around 75% . I tried my best to pitch MYTRIBE on various radio programs , adopting the role of a social media producer. infact , i have to be a social media producer as well as a content producer for my own webcast. pool had been fun, and i posted some of my work on pool, the feed back i got was generally positive and constructive. But i realised that my original work is more popular than my remixes or other's work.
One of my song that got the most feedback, was featured in SIM -RMIT communication design's graduation showcase promo video.
you can see this video here : http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1348094056175&ref=mf
and their website: http://www.imquisitive.com/

you can also see my other works on pool here : http://www.pool.org.au/users/chrisp

getting my work used, (paid or not) is signs of success at being a content producer or a social media producer.

we are in a non-stop learning process in this ever changing industry. lets see what PP2 can bring us!

No comments: